Finding Work as a Freelancer

Thursday, September 29, 2016




Hey April- how exactly do you find work as a freelancer?

I think that this is a major question that has been plaguing readers and potential movers alike- how do I find work when I get to Amsterdam! Ahhh

Have no fear, what I like to say to others (and to myself) where there is a will there is a way! I have had so many random freelance jobs since moving here that I have lost count. My very first job in Amsterdam was as a tour guide for bachelor parties that wanted to go clubbing and through the red light district. Needless to say, I have gathered enough strange experiences to last my grandchildren a week of grandma's stories.

I cannot say that freelancing has been easy- my main goal coming out here was to establish a legitamite marketing agency that does business with large corporate companies as my own consultant. I will not say that that cannot happen, I have just had to roll with the rejections and find income elsewhere. I think that doing odd jobs in the beginning to build up a network is the way to go. So for kicks, here is a short list of jobs that I have done in the past 5 months:

1. Bachelor party tour guide
2. Spa manager of a nudist green vegan party
3. Bartender of various sorts (public relations)
4. Ticket scanner at festivals (street marketing)
5. A marketing baker (start up company needed a marketeer/baker)
6. Indian travel tour guide for Holland
7. Graphic designer for a start up company

I could keep going...

But my main point is that jobs will come to those that are looking for them! I started my search on craigslist, markplaats, indeed.nl, job pages on Facebook, linkedin, friend connections, etc.
I never used just one portal for finding jobs. Once I found the first one, other jobs just presented themselves to me. I was confident in my abilities and presented myself in a way that people were happy to hire me as a freelancer.

Do you have any specific questions about finding jobs as a freelancer when you first move to Holland? Ask away!

2 comments:

  1. Hi April! I am considering applying for DAFT soon, but I am worried about making enough money to live off of by doing odd jobs at first. Does the government care what type of work you are doing, as long as it is as a freelancer? For example, could I be a rider for deliveroo and UberEats? (Their riders are all considered self employees) I’m wondering if all freelance work needs to pertain to the type of work your business is set up to be doing. I am planning to set up a marketing/media company. I really appreciate all of your information and this is the most helpful blog I have found on the topic so far. If you have time for a quick call I would love to learn more from you.

    Best,
    Drew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear April,
    I read your blog and will move to the Netherlands in April. How did you find those odd jobs you mentioned like a tour guide, bartender, ect? I might need to do that too to support myself in the Netherlands as an artist.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete